Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Beauty Secret: Cold Showers!

 

    As some of you may know, I have long hair, very long hair. I don't want long damaged hair, I want long,  lustrous, healthy locks! Maybe this isn't really a secret per-say , but it truly is a helpful tip!

   Cold showers did not sound appealing the first time I heard of them, I love my hot showers; however, my  doctor noticed my love for them instantly, which I didn't love... She told me they were drying out my already damaged (scarred) skin. I immediately took her advice and began the switch.

   The process of switching to cold showers isn't over for me, I've advanced to the point of warm -> lukewarm -> cold. Essentially I wash first with warm water, then shampoo my hair to lukewarm water, and rise it out then condition with cold water. Cold water is great for the skin as a last step too, especially if you shower in the morning, nothing invigorates you like cold water in the morning.

   Why? Hot water as a last step in the shower leaves pores open to get dirty and dries out the sebum (top layer of the skin). As for hair, the cuticle is open as well. Cold water seals the cuticles, ensuring some extra shine!

   I gave this tip to friends at school all the time when they'd ask the ''secret'' to my hair. I'm thrilled to say that I always got positive feedback when they tried it! My hair has definitely appreciated the lack of heat in the past months. :)

   Need more convincing? Here are some of the many reasons cold showers are great for you:

  • strengthens the immune system
  • increases circulation, which flushes toxins out!
  • anti again benefits (keeps skin tight and elastic)
  • saves money (are you going to take a longer hot shower or longer cold shower?)
  • improved sleep


   One more reason, this builds self confidence! Honestly, when I get to the point where I can say I take cold showers, I will be so proud of myself! It shows I committed to making a healthy change, and have the will power to stick with it!

    Thanks for reading, if you try this, tell me in the comments!

                                                                                                        - Chels

No comments:

Post a Comment